Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Wellies

A few months back I bought my son some wellies.  I chose them, as at the time I thought blue dinosaur wellies would be fab for my little guy.  To which he preceded to turn his nose up at them and ignore them sitting there quietly in the wardrobe.  How many of you know a child that's never wanted their wellies? If you think back how many of us never wanted wellies? I still recall my red wellies, only because after they finally got too small someone in my family threw them on the roof of the garage and I could see them out of my brothers bedroom window.  Every picture and back then that wasn't many, had me running around in my red wellies.  What is it that attracts children to the fashion statement of wellies? My son finally gave in and joined the 'I love wellies' brigade and where as I was trying to persuade him to wear them, now I am trying to get them off of him especially when he wants to wear them to school.
What made him change his mind?
The freedom that he could
The freedom of free will.  Just because he did not want them when I chose them, using my free will , didn't mean that at some point he would decide  when he wanted to!
Yes it can be annoying at 7 in the morning, your sorting yourself out for the day and your child 'demands' he is wearing wellies to school/church/grandma's but that little annoyance is nothing to the knowledge that he has free will and with it comes his dreams and imagination, on occasion we need to remember our wellies and how things can sometimes be simple if we just remember our pasts and our free will.

No comments:

Post a Comment