Sunday, March 4, 2012

Inspiration

Where do you find your inspiration? is it all around us? do you need to experience something unusual or magical to be inspired?  Today was an inspiring day.  Not because I of something unusual well not at first, it was certainly something magical.  I went to the park with my little guy and daughter and it was there watching the joy on his face, the excitement and thrill, yes you could say this is inspiring.  But what inspired me more was the idea of the other children in the park.  In this enclosed space could be tomorrows doctors, teachers, lawyers, nurses, actors, politicians, plumbers, electricians, authors, to name a few.  What can I say the list could go on and on and on but, what really inspired me was that these young people over come obstacles most of us would refuse to even contemplate.  Climbing things more than double your height jumping to infinity and beyond, shooting down a slide or going against gravity and climbing up, giving total trust to sometimes strangers or friends as they sit on the other side of a see-saw or being pushed on a round about.  And on odd occasion they do get bumped or dizzy or fall the little guys just get up rub their knee, elbow or head and carry on.   How many of us if we made things to scale would do what they do.  Yep there would be a few into extreme things that may enjoy it, this was my inspiration, how amazing children are.

But I don't stop there, now for the unusual, before Christmas I had written the verse for a children's picture book about a Robin, then because I wanted to show the agency I was sending it too that I wasn't a one hit wonder I wrote another book, but really for me my inspiring sign was seeing a couple of robins where I work.  Living in Athens I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I have seen a Robin over the years.  When I do see them its a reminder of home, Christmas and anything to do with my childhood, I love Robins to me they are my sign and inspiration.  So on this beautiful warm sunny spring day, whilst waiting in my car with my children my little drop of inspiration came calling.  There in front of me a metre or two away a Robin came.  It just reminded me that inspiration is all around us in many forms and ways.  You don't need to visit historical sites or meet famous people, it could be through a gesture you see in the supermarket.  It could be like my Robin something personal that I would get.  So the next time you feel the need for inspiration, open your heart and look beyond the immediate vision, look deeper, there will be something there waiting just for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment